Wednesday, September 29, 2010

October Magic on Ali'i Drive: John Laskowski

John Laskowski at the Avia Austin Triathlon:  What we imagine it might be like for John at Kona the Saturday after next
2010 USAT age? -- 41

Birthplace? -- Stillwater, Oklahoma

Are you signed up for IM Texas?  Why or why not? -- Does time exist after 10/9/2010?

Will this (is Kona in your instance) be your first attempt at an Ironman? -- No.

If not, how many IMs have you completed? -- I did Ironman Florida in 2008.

Will you/did you get an MDot tattoo after your first Ironman? -- No, I did not.

What triathlon/running/cycling clubs do you belong to? -- Lonestar Multisports, Strive, The Woodlands Running Club, HARRA

Do you train with anyone (i.e. training group)? -- Strive, but mostly on my own since my schedule does not match the team.  Teammates have been extremely supportive and I have had a chance to train with most of them at some time.

Are you coached by anyone? -- Kim Hager, Gena Alvarez, Bill Dwyer

How many hours a week do you spend training (overall and at each discipline)? -- I am averaging 13 hours a week. 2.7 hours in swimming and 7,500 yards, 5.2 hours in the bike, 3.5 hours on the run and 21 miles per week.  My max is 17.5 hours in a week, with 3.75 in swimming and 11,350 yards, 9 hours on the bike and 6 hours on the run with 36 miles for the week.

When was your first triathlon? -- 1987

How did you do? -- Hmmm.  I finished and fell in love with it, but I was also “that guy”.  I had not swum in 4 years and we were seeded according to our 500 time.  I put down what I used to swim.  I ended up starting second in front of 500 other athletes.  It was not pretty.  Much embarrassment.

Why did you get into the sport? -- Paul Allen, Dave Scott, Molina brothers used to inspire me.  Always wanted to do what they did.  There wasn’t any tri clubs/groups growing up, but I biked a lot and swam a lot and loved to run.  When my college put on a tri as part of the sports program, I signed up.

What have you learned about yourself while pursuing triathlon/Ironman? -- I am not the athlete I used to be, but I am not the athlete that I am going to be and I am better today than I was yesterday.  I had to learn how to recover.  I have learned that I can get better, but the seeds of work planted now may not bear fruit until next season or even the following season.   I learned the journey is the story and the race is just the paragraph mark making room for the next paragraph.  That training with friends is so much more fun than training alone.  That a good coach is worth twice their weight in gold.  That the race must be run alone, but getting there requires the help of a lot of people.  That no matter what my dreams are, I will not sacrifice my family for them.   I have learned that my limits on what I can do are not set by my body, but by my mind.

Which of the three disciplines is your strongest? -- Bicycling

What's your favorite triathlon distance? -- Olympic/Half

Favorite race?
Not done -- Kona: IM World Championship, Tour de France, Badwater, Adventure racing.
Done -- I have not done as many as I want to to have a good answer.  I loved IRP Wool/San Angelo for the run in the desert.  CB&I is an absolutely fantastic race to support.   Tejas has awesome post race food.  River Cities has the best schwag and is super fun.  Austin Tri is a great race.  Marble Falls is awesome for the swim and bike even though it is my only DNF. 
Not a race – MS 150 for raising money for MS.

What's your bucket list race?
Tri -- Kona, Escape from Alcatraz Tri, Wildflower, Lake Placid IM,  Lanzorote, New Zealand, Clearwater, Hy-Vee ITU
Running -- Boston, New York, Chicago, London, Berlin, Huntsville 50 Miler (Rocky Raccoon), Western States 100, Comrades, Leadville 100
Biking -- Ragbra, Coast to Coast.


One piece of gear or gadget that you can't do without? -- Running shorts.   Everything else is ultimately unnecessary.

What's your favorite training routine? -- 1.)  Double Bricks:  Bike/Run/Bike/Run.  2.)  Repeat 800s on little rest.  3.)  Bike:  hill repeats or repeat time trials.

What are some of your favorite routes (biking or running)? -- My favorite routes involve mountains which we do not have around here.  I only get to do them while on vacation.
Bike -- Sam Houston Nation Forrest, Richards, Anderson, Carlos, Yankee Tavern: Hamburger, Fries and beer, and return via Navasota
Running -- Trail - Jones State Forrest, George Mitchell Conservatory


What foods are most critical in your training? -- Ultragen, EFS liquid shot.  EFTS sports Drink.  Without replacing the carbs and electrolytes I would not be able to train.  Shout out to crustless PB&J frozen sandwiches.

Who or what gets you out of bed to train on bad days/freezing rain/100 degree heat? -- The thought of what I want to do.  I cannot make up workouts missed.   Excuses become habit.  Missed workouts become habit.  Next thing you are way behind in training.  But this is also pushed up against goals for the race and other people in my life and their needs.  In my experience, sometimes it is in the middle of the most horrible day as far as weather that you find yourself the most.

What has had the greatest impact on your progress as an athlete? -- Having a coach and teammates and family support.  Without the pillars of support I receive, I would not be able to dedicate the time to training.  Without a coach that understands me as an individual I would not know how to train.  Without my teammates, training would not be as fun and I would not put in the time. 

How has triathlon changed your life? -- It helped me start to realize some of the dreams I had when I was a kid.  It has helped me see places I thought I would never see.  It has brought me a community of friends and supporters that I would not have in my life otherwise.  It has opened the doors to experiences and adventure that I would not otherwise have.  It has helped me get back in shape and hopefully inspire my kids to do the same.  I hope to inspire others to realize that if you keep persevering, that you can accomplish anything.

Favorite website(s)? -- No favorites.

If you were the God of triathlons for one day, what change would you make? -- Hmmm… Interesting question.
1.)  I think I would make Newton’s fourth law of motion:  Any object in motion that tries to hit a runner or biker would bounce off said runner or biker with same force.
2.)  Any person lost or hurt through the negligence of others is one too many.
3.)  I would say “Let there be 10’ wide bike and running paths throughout the land connecting cities and communities.”  And it would be good.
4.)  I would also make doing triathlons part of the national health care program and all tri expenses would be tax deductable.  Double the payouts at all tris and more tv coverage.


Favorite triathlete(s)? -- Chris McCormack, Craig Alexander, Chris Lieto, Paul Allen, Scott Tinley, Paula Newby-Fraser, Chrissie Wellington, Kim Hager, My whole Strive Team, John Blais, any challenged athlete that shows that their challenge does not stop them -- the heart they show inspires me, and if my wife does one, then she will be on the top of the list.

Favorite athlete to watch in another sport? (I don’t really watch other athletes per se so I changed it to favorite athletes in another sport)
1.)  Ryan Hall: Not for how he runs, but for his charity and his support of World Vision.
2.)  Lance Armstrong, not for his riding, but for Livestrong.  (Although he was a triathlete and may return.)
3.)  Pat Tillman: the sacrifice of a secure future to help is country.
4.)  Michael Phelps


Favorite city or cities to visit? -- Colorado Springs (U.S.), Venice (Europe)

Bucket list (1 to 5 things)
1.)  Teach my kids to be twice the man I am and half the man my dad was.
2.)  Support my wife and give her a life she deserves.
3.)  To own a ranch and raise grass fed cows, free range chickens, horses, grapes and to make wine (in the mountains) and use the ranch to help underprivileged children and youths and to be the chef.
4.)  Learn how to play the piano, guitar and violin competently.
5.)  Sing Robin a love song on key.


Favorite quote or motto? -- Life is not a dress rehearsal.  If you live life without scars you have not tried hard enough risked enough or loved enough and not lived enough.

1 comment:

  1. This is just awesome!!!! John is SUCH a great guy!!!! Lots of luck to him at Kona. :)

    ReplyDelete