Wednesday, September 29, 2010

October Magic on Ali'i Drive: Amy Barr

Kevin and Amy Barr - The day before Ironman Lake Placid
2010 USAT age? -- 36

Birthplace? -- Grand Forks, North Dakota

Are you signed up for IM Texas?  Why or why not? -- Yes.  Just had to secure a spot.  Peer pressure made me do it.  :)

Will this (is Kona in your instance) be your first attempt at an Ironman? -- Yes.

Will you/did you get an MDot tattoo after your first Ironman? -- Ummm, ask me afterward!  I'm undecided.

What triathlon/running/cycling clubs do you belong to? -- Lonestar Multisport and Conroe Triathletes.

Do you train with anyone (i.e. training group)? -- Mostly alone, due to scheduling.  Occasionally group rides; non-specific groups.

Are you coached by anyone? -- No.

If not, do you follow a formal training plan? -- Training Peaks currently.  Used Mark Allen previously and listen to Endurance Nation via Kevin.

How many hours a week do you spend training (overall and at each discipline)? -- On average, about 20 (2-4 run, 2-4 swim, 2-6 brick, 4-9 bike, 1.5-3 Bikram Yoga).

When was your first triathlon? -- 2008 CB&I.

How did you do? -- I survived.  (I was) completely gased, but smiling and so proud.

Why did you get into the sport? -- Wanted to ride my Dad's bike:  to honor his memory.  Also, a comeback of sorts for me mentally and physically.

What have you learned about yourself while pursuing triathlon/Ironman? -- More than I can type in a blog.  Summarized:  I am NOT alone and I CAN do this.

Which of the three disciplines is your strongest? -- The bike.

What's your favorite triathlon distance? -- Olympic.

Favorite race? -- I sure hope it's Kona!

What's your bucket list race? -- Ford Ironman World Championship.

One piece of gear or gadget that you can't do without? -- My Adamo saddle.

What's your favorite training routine? -- Intervals or the long bricks.  Such a feeling of accomplishment!

What are some of your favorite routes (biking or running)? -- Flintridge for running.  Biking on rolling hills ... "TGFD-thank God for downhills!!"

What foods are most critical in your training? -- Complex carbs and RECOVERY!!  Branch Chain AA's foshizzle.

Who or what gets you out of bed to train on bad days/freezing rain/100 degree heat? -- That upcoming race ... FEAR alone works for me.

What has had the greatest impact on your progress as an athlete? -- Time, experience and trial and error.  Nutrition.

How has triathlon changed your life? -- Another book (that could be written).  Stronger both physically and mentally which brings me closer to my hubby and balances me ... calm MOMMY just works better!!

Favorite website(s)? -- Ironman.com and Facebook.

If you were the God of triathlons for one day, what change would you make? -- Cool tri-clothes for WOMEN!  Seriously, this should be addressed.

Favorite triathlete? -- Crowie & Chrissie.

Favorite athlete to watch in another sport? -- Olympic athletes.  Yes, they are all amazing.

Favorite city (or cities) to visit? -- Boulder or Denver, Colorado during the summer.

Bucket list (1 to 5 things) -  Finish the Ford Ironman World Championship, Tahitian trip to one of those over-water hut things, and to tour the United States with my family in an RV.

Favorite quote or motto? -- Currently, "Courage... is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is ... more important than fear." - Ambrose Rednoon

No comments:

Post a Comment